Awareness material or experiences
- Read, The Cat in the Hat
- After reading the awareness selection, together with the students, generate a list of words that end with "at".
- Each student takes the initial consonant from their name and uses it as an onset for the rime "at". For example, Jennifer would generate "jat".
- Odd word out. Say a group of three words (i.e. chat, mat, nod) and the student repeats the word that does not belong because it doesn’t end in "at".
Make a spinner with consonant letters.
The student spins and generates a word using the consonant and the rime "at".
- Make or use a worksheet with letter patterns. Direct the students to circle all the words with "at".
Whole Language Application
- Help each student make a book to take home and read to his or her family. Make a patterned book using the one sheet book. Use sentences with the rime "at". The students can write the words or the teacher can photocopy the sentences and the students can cut and paste them. Draw pictures to go with the words. For example, you can use the pattern:
On Monday, I went to town to buy a hat.
On Tuesday, I went to town to feed a cat.
On Wednesday, I went to town to have a chat.
On Thursday, I went to town to borrow a mat.
On Friday, I went to town and saw a rat.